Our blog is dedicated to seasonal living: cooking with local produce (sometimes our own), sewing for the home and searching out vintage bargains.

We believe that most of the pleasure is in the journey - in the making and creating, even if in a simple way.

Wednesday 9 March 2011

Rock Cakes

These are easy-peasy and taste surprisingly good.
4oz self-raising flour
4oz wholemeal flour
half teaspoon ground mixed spice
half teaspoon cinnamon
4oz butter
4oz demerara sugar
4oz mixed fruit (raisins/sultanas)
grated rind of a lemon
1 egg
2 tablespoons milk
Set oven to 375F/Gas Mark 5. Sift flour and spice. Rub in the butter. Mix in the sugar and fruit. Add the milk and egg. Combine to a into a soft but crumbly dough. Form into 10 or 12 rough heaps and bake for 20 minutes. Cool on a wire tray. Eat when fresh.

3 comments:

  1. I remember these were the first things we made in Domestic Science when I went to secondary school. I've never made them since, don't know why as they are delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember making these at school too! I do make them occasionally from the recipe in the BeRo book which is very similar to yours - we always enjoy them but I tend to make scones more often:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh - they look just like the ones my Mum used to make!

    ReplyDelete